Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Buying Games on Steam

Steam is my go-to client of choice when playing any game on my PC.  I love how games can be purchased, organized, and played off the same client, with very little difficulty.  This week, I'm writing a short article on my thought process of discovering random indie games, or buying recommended games.


I boot up my computer everyday, and the first thing I do is to log into Steam.  Once there, I check the daily deals, new releases, midweek madness (or weekend deals).  There are an astronomical amount of games available just on Steam, which is only one of the few platforms I turn to when I decide to play games.  Growing up now, I find myself with less and less time, and I need to start filtering which games I can play with my shrinking free time.

The first thing I look for is the title of the game.  What I mean by that is - have I heard of this game in some way prior to me looking at it currently?  If it comes recommend from a friend, I'm immediately interested.  If warned against, I'm less inclined to try it.
Look at all those sweet, sweet deals.
The next thing I look at is the price.  I've ventured out to try many random games just because I could get them for less than a dollar (or better yet, free!).  For some reason, I refuse to spend more than $5 on a single Steam game, yet am willing to drop $60 without a second thought on a console game like Destiny.  (Fortunately...?), I've started to part with more money whilst shopping on Steam, making me more poor, but also allowing me a wider range of games I normally wouldn't have played.

That's a lot of hours...
If I'm still not convinced on buying the game, I look to the reviews to guide me.  It is very helpful to read on what fellow gamers think of the potential game, and what they thought.  It doesn't hold as much weight compared to a personal friend's recommendation, but is still enlightening nonetheless. If nothing else, I get a laugh from the Steam community.

Once I've completed my purchase, I am usually struck with exhilaration and immediate regret (I just spent more of my food money oh nooo.....).  The only thing then is to see if that money was well used, and give my peers my opinion on that game. 

As always, thanks for reading!  How do you figure out what games to play and which ones to buy? Leave a comment below, discuss below, and share with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment